Trademarks in Korea are protected under the Trademark Act and should be registered with the Korean Intellectual Property Office (KIPO). Any person, including foreign entities that use or intend to use a trademark in the Republic of Korea may be entitled to register its trademark in order to protect their product and service marks.
KOISRA UP provides full support for foreign companies and entities, who wish to register, renew and manage their trademarks in South Korea. In order to ensure the quality of our services, the process of trademark registration is done only by licensed Korean lawyers.
For trademark registration in Korea, the following basic information documents are required:
- Applicant details – this should include the name and address of the applicant (including the name of an executive officer, if the applicant is a juristic person / company); the trademark;
- List of the designated goods and class thereof
- Examples and demonstrations of the trademark
- If priority is claimed, then the priory documents shall be provided
- Copy of Passport / Corporate Certificate
- Signed power of attorney
Foreign companies and entities who originally registered their trademark in a country which is part of the Paris convention or under a bilateral agreement with Korea can claim for priority right.
The duration of the protection of a trademark right in South Korea is 10 years from the date of registration of the trademark, which may be renewed every 10 years. For the renewal of a trademark registration, an application for the renewal should be filed up.
Before submitting application for trademark in Korea, we recommend to apply for trademark study in Korea. We offer two levels of trademark study:
- Basic Trademark Study - seraching the Korean trademarks national database for similar marks in English and Korean language.
- Extensive Trademark Study - in addition to the search in the Korean trademarks national database (basic study), the following study will be done: local companies and business names, domain names, local web search engine restuls, online local Koran products and/or service names and other relevant databases.
In both studies, we will share with you report and a trademark lawyer opinion in English (other languages are also possible for additional fee).
According to the Korean law, the trademark registration application must be written in Korean language. In addition any follow up, response and communication with KIPO should also be done by Korean language. This one of the main reason we recommend to hire local Korean agent who can assist you and support your application before and after the submission.
“What our Clients say
Thanks Carla Lee and KOISRA, for helping us to register our baby toys brand in South Korea. Your service is quick, forward-thinking and highly-recommended! In case we will need help in Korea, you will be our first choice.
Rainer Appel, CEO - Sindibaba
Trademark in Korea?
Call Us: +82-70-5038-4101, Send an Email or Leave us a Message in the form below. We will be happy to answer your questions!
Goods mark registration in Korea, Service mark registration in Korea, Registration of trademark in South Korea, Application for trademark in Korea, South Korea trademark application, trademark lawyer in Korea, Renewal of trademark in Korea, Trademark registration services in Korea, File trademark registration in Korea, Brand name registration in Korea, Trademark database in Korea, Korea Trademark Filing Services